Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Why the Louisville Metro Police Department sucks.

Shortly after the ambulance arrived at our house, the police arrived. An officer came into the ambulance and took down information I gave him about what happened and what was taken. Then he gave me a card and said that I can pick up a copy of the police report in 10 days. Then he left. Meanwhile, Adam followed the footprints in the snow to some housing projects only a couple blocks away. Adam, my husband, looked around to see what happened, not the officer on the scene.

The next day, Adam and I walked around the neighborhood looking in trash cans to see if we could find any of my belongings that had been discarded. It had been trash day the at morning, so many of the trash cans had already been emptied. We didn't find anything.

Two days later, Adam and I went to the 4th district police station with a more detailed list of what was stolen with my bag. The girl at the front desk has several interesting things to say. The first thing she said while she was looking for the report, was "was this a domestic thing?". We are there with a list of stolen property. If it were domestic, how could there be stolen property? She also stated that the case probably hadn't been assigned yet. Once she found the report she added "You know...they're not going to be able to find your things." We explained that we would like the report to be complete, so she added the information for us. Adam inquired about why the case wouldn't have been assigned to a detective yet and her explanation for us was that "if it had been something REAL SERIOUS they might have gone ahead and assigned it." At that point, I had to remove myself from the conversation because anything I had to offer would not be productive. I really don't know how many incidents of more serious things happen in Louisville. What occurred was armed robbery and assault, and the next step from that is manslaughter, so aside from murder, they're not in any hurry to assign cases to detectives.

The following Monday, I informed a news reporter about the situation. She spoke to her boss and got the "okay" to do the story. That afternoon, the reporter and a camera man met me at my house. You can read about and watch the story here...
http://www.wlky.com/news/14996599/detail.html?subid=10101262
The most important thing to note in this video, is the officer's statement that "We are in the early stages of the investigation" at 6 days in. At the end, the reporter defends the LMPD by stating that they might not have sent a detective out that night because it was a holiday. It's just laughable. Allegedly, the officer stated that there was no way the case hadn't been assigned to a detective by then, and we must have gotten bad information. Later that day, my husband, in an effort to contact the detective, called and spoke to another detective who stated that she had just received a case from January 2nd.

The detective called me back 15 days after the incident, and after I gave her all the information that I had, she assured me that she would contact me again about the case. I've yet to hear from her, and am notholding my breath for a resolve on this case.

3 comments:

  1. all i have to say is - WOW. that is beyond bad. i am horrified right now. im impressed you took your case to the press, but disappointed with their treatment of the story.

    i hope ur holding up okay...

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes They suck in unimaginable ways

    ReplyDelete
  3. Natalie:

    The cop is wrong about getting a gun being bad. But with that gun comes some decisions.

    The obvious one being where are you going to carry it. As you learned if it is in your purse, where most women carry, and some guy grabs your purse, you won't be able to use it.

    Getting some training is also a good idea. I'd suggest FrontSight, (http://www.frontsight.com/) but it is a ways away. I learned a lot there. You should sign up for the free reports on the site, they will give you a valuable primer as a new gun owner.

    Good luck.
    Ron
    http://www.reactuate.com/

    ReplyDelete