Thursday, August 2, 2007

I Don't Do Figure!

I am back from Vegas! This competition season ended with a blast. There's no better place to celebrate the end of a 22 week diet than the a city that's known for buffets. I could write an entire post of everything I ate after the show, but first the low down on the competition...

USA's was a great show to compete in. It was very well run, and so nice that I was able to do prejudging and finals on the same day. I hate when the shows are spread out over 2 days. This was the biggest show I've ever done in several ways. First, it was the highest level national show I've ever been in. Second, there were 9 girls in my class, the biggest class I've even competed in. Third, the girls in my class were the biggest girls I'd ever been on stage with. When I got to prejudging Saturday morning, I realized that it was going to be a tough class. I didn't get called out in the first group of 6, so I knew I'd place 7, 8, or 9. I was scored as 9th place across the board. I was actually rewarded 8th because one of the women was withdrawn for some reason. The placings didn't turn out like I thought, but I'm learning why from the judges' standpoint.

This show was a bit of an eyeopener for me on my shortcomings. I had trouble making weight for my shows in 2005, so I thought I was at the top of the lightweight class. It became very apparent between Jr's where several people thought I was a figure girl, to USA's where nearly everybody thought I was a figure girl that I am not at the top of my weight class at this level. It started on the way to the athlete meeting when a guy on the shuttle looked at me and said "your official meeting was yesterday, right?". At first, I didn't know what he was talking about. He repeated himself, and then it sunk in that the figure athlete meeting was yesterday. A little irritated at his assuredness that I was a figure competitor, I just said "what are you talking about?" Then he realized his assumption was wrong and apologized. A female bodybuilder across the isle said "It's a compliment because you're pretty they assume you're figure." Backstage that night, the figure girls were supposed to go to the other side of the stage for their initial entrance at the show. Several girls explained to me that "the figure girls are supposed to be over there", to which I responded, "I'm a bodybuilder". When I was finished and the awards were being given out to the top 5 lightweights, I got dressed in a skirt and tank top to go see Adam. I couldn't find him and my cell phone was back stage. No big deal, my friend was just outside and I could have him call Adam to meet me in the lobby. I looked at the woman watching the door "if I run out there really quick, you'll let me back in, right?" Now, I'm painted brown and wearing a posing suit under my skirt and tank top, but she looks me up and down and said where's your badge? I was dumbfounded, "You don't think I'm a competitor?" She just looked at me "where's your number?" I hollered out the door to my friend, spoke to him through a gap in the door, and glared at her as I walked off. I went backstage to gather my things, and got some strange looks from a couple of people just before I entered the pump up room. "Where's your badge?" I feel so harassed by this point, "Dude, I'm a competitor! My number is back there. I'll go get it." A few seconds later, the guy yells across the room "They said you're not a competitor." I was exacerbated "What!?" "They said you are a competitor. It's okay." I had misunderstood him the first time and was getting pissy by then, but I calmed down, gathered my things, and went to join my friends outside. Celebrations ensued shortly after.

No comments:

Post a Comment